Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"The Doctor on call said NO"

I was just sitting here this morning, watching the birds outside my window and drinking my Boost on the rocks. tehehee. Yesterday was my clinic appointment --yup on Valentines day, which I hope you had a lovely one, shared with the ones you love and appreciate!! Most of my day was spent with nurses, but my hubby stayed with me the whole time. Awe. Anywho, my labs haven't changed much, still not good, but they didn't need to admit me! Thank you Jesus!! I will be admitted some time next week though. They are going to up-size my bili-drain again. Ouchieeeee! But, before I forget, (I know I have said it many times before) I wanted to remind you guys that you have to be your own advocate! (and sometimes that demands you to be a little ...ummm, demanding!)

Last month I had to pull myself out of my comfort zone and fight for myself a few times in the hospital, and let me give you a little tip. There is always someone higher on the medical ladder then the person you are talking to. I know I have mentioned nurses that said "ewe" when I threw up and others that left me sit in the bathroom while they went on lunch, and each time I could have done something about it. If you are having a problem with your nurse, try talking to them first. This time I had a nurse that was getting ready to give me my I.V. pain meds but decided to first lecture me on how pain "normally" works, how it grows on their magic pain level scale from a 1 to a 10...how you should ask for the pill form of your pain medication before it gets so bad that you need I.V. form. After a few seconds of this, I quickly stopped her - told her to give me my medicine first please and then explained to her that I in fact have been sick majority of my life and have actually had 6 or 7 surgeries (depending on how you count) and sometimes pain does not climb the number scale at all, but jumps it and hits an "8" full force. Originally I could tell she was irritated with the fact that I had made her go back and get the I.V. med after she had already brought the pill, and was actually a little stuck up sounding while she educated me on pain, but she calmed down after that. Now, sometimes they may not see the errors of their ways, or maybe you just don't like confrontation (which believe me... a few months ago - I would have just bit my tongue and cried after, repeating, noooooo one understands me.)  So if that is the case, NEVER forget about your charge nurse. They are above your nurse and have authority to change your nurse at any time, or they can talk to them for you.

Another issue I had was that my pain seemed worse at night (when my regular doctors were already home sleeping) By then my I.V. pain meds had been discontinued. One night the pain got real bad and I needed some serious pain relief. My nurse called the doctor on call and they said "No" to giving me anything via I.V. so I told my nurse to call them back and tell them that I wanted to talk to them. Within 20 minutes my nurse came back in --not with a phone, but with my meds. The next day when my doctors were making rounds, I let them know what had happened and they spoke with that doctor, letting her know that if I needed it to give it to me... It is not that I am trying to get anyone in trouble (and trust me, that is the first thing out of my mouth each time) but as patients, we have rights, and one of them is to be comfortable... I'm just sayin' :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Very proud of you, it is hard to confront if this isn't the type of person you are but nobody should have to lay in pain anywhere and not in a Hospital of all places :o/ "Live and Learn" xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am Very proud of you, it is hard to confront if this isn't the type of person you are but nobody should have to lay in pain anywhere and not in a Hospital of all places :o/ "Live and Learn" xoxo