Friday, August 26, 2011

Jumpin' the gun

The oversized cheeks are from the steroids  

It is just my opinion, and I am glad they are not doing nothing at all, but I do believe my docs are jumping the gun on some stuff here. Take my plasmapheresis, they still have not gotten the final test results on if I have this rare antibody that is fighting off my new liver, yet they sedated me and put in a central line (creating more scar tissue, which isn't good because eventually that vein will be to scarred to use) They completed one round of it on Monday and Tuesday; They then put it on hold, and today took the line out, but still have not received the final result... it should be in this Tuesday. I don't get it? If I do have the antibody the line will have to be put back in to restart the plasmapharesis. Of course I have looked up plasmapharesis and have really only found the procedure done on kidney transplant patients... it must be rare, very rare. hehehee. And just a suggestion, if they tell you that you don't need any meds besides the local numbing shot, I'd tell them they crazy... at least get a little something IV for pain, with something to relax you. It is going to be sore after. The nurses were laughing at me because every time I needed to move my head I would grab the top of my hair (like I'm holding a shrunken head) and maneuver it to where I wanted. Taking the line out on the other hand is not so bad, takes 'em a couple of seconds to get the stitches out and then they just pull it out... that feels weird though - not really painful, just weird.

Anywho, back to jumping the gun. Those aren't the only lab results that they have not received back before starting treatment. I have quite a bit of antibiotics flowing through my veins, most of them we haven't received results back on yet. Jeeze, I don't know why my liver counts keep going up... maybe all these extra procedures, sedation, and medications on my poor new lil liver? Maybe not, we'll see.

Now today they say my labs are about the same as they have been these last few days -- to high, and they are thinking that the hematoma may need to be taken out, but since it is in there like a bunch of grapes full of fluid, they cannot poke a bunch of holes to drain each one, so that means another surgery to clean it out. They say that it is most likely not the reason for my numbers rising, but they don't have much else to go by, and since it is not going away on its own (like it is supposed to!) they might as well remove it. It does put a lot of extra pressure on my belly, and has grown from 10cm x 4 x 4 to 14cm x 4 x 4. Yuck. So that is it medically speaking. My hubby is going to spend the night with me tonight, ooh la la. teheheehee, just kidding. No funny business here. And Monday, River starts his first day of kindergarten. I'm coming to terms with it but it still really hurts my heart to know I won't be there. I had planned to make him some ABC shaped pancakes and cry all the way home from dropping my big boy off, but instead, I'm making daddy film it all - I don't care who it embarrasses. hehehe

I'm on my 6th week inside and I'm going a little stir crazy, but as they say, I'm feeding my faith and starving my fears! I'll be home soon enough and will have many years with my family to enjoy... and believe me, I will be enjoying every moment of it, I'm not taking one second for granted. :) Don't sweat the small stuff my friends, its not worth it. Enjoy what you have... you could have less. (Oh ya, I should make bumper stickers or something)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Ricki, I'm so glad you have not lost your sense of humor! You keep me smiling girl! I'm praying for you every night! And if you do make those bumper stickers let me know. That way someday when I can drive, Ill buy one! Sending love, hugs and prayers!