Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Busy Week

Well, the tests came back on that rare form of rejection, and since they removed the central line from my neck, of course it came back positive... so the line had to be put back in. I knew I should have fought harder to make them wait til Tuesday for the results! So another central line went in (this time unfortunately, it was much more painful - different doc., less patience and definitely less numbing medication. I felt like I was in the movie "Saw" when he was stitching it into place. I got goose bumps just thinking of it) Anywho, So Tuesday night they put the line in and started my plasmapheresis again. Hopefully it works, some of the interns hadn't even hear of it.

Thursday I had a whole lot of poking and prodding... special blood work, an upper G.I., a MRI, an ultrasound, and some X-rays,  (I'm sure I could throw a few more letters at ya! hehe) And it was a plasmapheresis day too. So I was wheeled (in my bed) from floor to floor, test to test, and started to feel like I was a float princess... I know a lot of people here now so I do a lot of waving. It was a busy day, but Friday ended up being even busier. I was resting when all of the sudden my nurse came in and said I was going for surgery -- ok, I must have been sleeping because I said "no problem" and started to doze back off, but within 15 minutes there were a flurry of doctors in and out of my room to have me sign consent forms. Not even another 15 minutes later (I barely had enough time to call Jason) and I was being wheeled into surgery - no pre-op room or anything. From the tests they had done the day before, they found that my abnormally large Hematoma was pressing on my bowels and tummy, which was probably the reason I was getting nauseous so much. So they did about a 2" incision and cleaned it out and since they were in there, they took a biopsy and looked around to make sure everything else looked ok. They also placed another JP drain to get rid of the extra blood and fluids. Lovely. All together it was about a 3 - 4 hour surgery, 1 hour in recovery, and then I was back in my room. All in all it was a success, even though it will take another 2 weeks to get the biopsy result back on whether or not the Plasmapheresis was a success...

So that was my week in a nutshell. Speaking of nutshells my cheeks have not seemed to stop growing, I now not only look like a chipmunk, but rather a chipmunk hoarder, storing nuts for the next few winters in my cheeks. And speaking of seasons, I realize I pretty much missed summer all together. I got to celebrate the 4th of July and then BAM, hospital... and now it's September! It has been pretty tough, and the world does not seem to stop spinning for me. Hopefully this week will be the week I go home!!

By the way, if you have Facebook, you probably already knew all this... sorry bout that. It is easier to update there daily without all the emotional mush. :)

No comments: