Thursday, September 10, 2009

09/09 Appointment

Another quick update...I found out what my doctors appointment was for finally...I knew it would hit me once I got in there! hehe. My doctor, the first thing out of his mouth when he came in was, "what are we going to do with you? You're keeping me up at nights!" *Gulp* But -- it was just a routine visit to discuss what happened in the ER last week and follow up with a few more sticks for the pin cushion.
My concerns I brought in were:
Nausea and vomitting....still
Dizziness and weakness
The "Bruised banana" look (that's going to be my new nickname BB. hehe)
Loss of appetite and weight loss (down to 124 -- eat your heart out) jk
-and my newest symptom...dare I say it, oh ya I will - a hemorrhoid. Something I prided myself on not even getting while pregnant -- and not pleasant.
The reason for all of this?? Portal hypertension. What will fix it?? A liver transplant. That's it. So part of me was frustrated to know that the only way to fix any of this is with the new liver, and it is only going to get worse until I get one. But at the same time, at least I know...this is all normal (well kinda) and there is a fix, maybe not the most ideal fix, but what are you gonna do.

As for the blood work, he is checking my kidneys because of the diuretics...He said I look "dry" and I said "Thanks a lot, I put lotion on" hehe...I knew he meant water retention, but it was funny...Luckily, my humor is not wasted on my doctor, although I don't think he is quite sure what to make of me. He did admit that to look at me, you wouldn't know I was as sick as I am (Awe, shux)-- until you see me on paper, that is. Of course that might be why he is also checking my ammonia levels...Slightly raised levels can make you....hehe...goofy. (although very dangerous if it to high) Don't worry though, I'm pretty sure I was like this before.

What's next: I was scolded (not really) about being pro-active with USC, keep calling them, because you need to be on that list! -- So I will call them first thing this morning. (see I'm a good patient)
A CT scan to recheck for tumor - Not scheduled yet. But, I did speak to a transplant nurse who said once a person with HCV+ decompensated cirrhosis has rising AFP levels, they are pushed up on the transplant waiting list, at least at the center she is at. (I know, that is reeeeally stretching to look at the cup half full.)
Keep up with my diet -- less then 2000mg salt and no meat (you don'ta eat no meat, ahh, that's ok, I make lamb) MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING.
And, go straight back to ER if; severe swelling in the abdomin, vomitting (or the other) of blood, severe pain or dehydration, unconscienceness or dillirium...(that's encouraging, huh)

Oh, I also asked for pictures of Larry (to which he replied, he's never had that request before) but said I can probably get a disk from radiology...so I might be posting that later - relax its just an ultrasound photo...hehe

No comments: