Monday, August 24, 2009

Good News!! ...is all in the way you look at it.

I wanted to post my last results...I had my echo, and my tricuspid valve regurgitation (mouthful...you can click on it to see what it is but basically I have a leaky heart valve) and it has not gotten any worse!! Whoo hoo. Just gotta keep an eye on it with the portal hypertension, but other than that, just a yearly check-up.

I also got my results back from my CT scan, though I have been a little hesitant to post the results because I don't want to jinx it. However, the most important thing is that (as far as the cancer test is concerned) the transplant is still on the table!

I thought I was a goner when the CT Tech came back in for the last part of the test. He had completely changed from before he had taken a look at Larry. Now, I am not sure how many of you are aware, but lab techs are not allowed to discuss results with you at all, but when I go in...I turn into Cal from "Lie to Me". I am checking all facial expressions, making small talk, checking body language. I wanna know what they know....and sometimes that is not so good, because bad news is all in the way you look at it. He took one look at Larry and just saw a shriveled little guy with lots of scars, but what he didn't see -- what we were praying for.... No masses! So he came in after our first chat about tattoos and work, all of the sudden it was "soooo, how's the weather out there" (I KID YOU NOT) wouldn't even look at me, he rocked slightly from heel to toe but he might as well have been whistling and looking at the ceiling. He was definitely uncomfortable...Tumors everywhere, I thought - for sure - the way he was acting. But NO!! Poor Larry, he's not pretty and he may be smaller then he used to be...but he ain't growing any extra heads!

So what is next....well, the doctor said that this is good news. We don't know if there is any cancer, but if there is, we caught it early and I will be able to still get my new liver. - If cancer had spread to any other organs, they would not consider giving me a new liver. I go in again in a few days to see if my tumor marker levels have raised. (normal range for the AFP marker test is under 9 I believe, and mine was elevated to 327) and then....well, we will go from there.

No comments: