Thursday, October 1, 2009

The road that brought me here (medically speaking)

Well, It is 5:00am and my back is killing me (well...technically my liver is killing me) ba dum dum.. just kiddin' ma.
Anywho, I started thinking that my new "peeps" might want to know how this all came about...so I figured I would do a little post...If anyone finds out, please let me know. (ahahaaa! I'm cracking myself up) No really, just venting...and kind of shows the warning signs (mine atleast) This was by no means a sudden attack on my body.....{Fade out} hehe so dramatic.
It all started on a snowing day in February - 1981 (I'm sure it was snowing somewhere) hehe.
Ok seriously, It really does start with my birth, since doctors assume that
--
I was born with hepatitis C. [A blood-borne virus, that causes inflammation of the liver. It also causes end-stage-liver-disease in 20 - 30% of patients] <-- I'm in that group.
--Side note: from infancy to toddler hood, if I cried hard, I would turn blue and pass out. (May be important if Dr. House is reading) Not good for spanking...hehehe sucka's.
--When I was 7, though I remember the pain like it was yesterday...I was sitting down in the living room, when I got a horrible crushing pain in my chest. I started crawling over to my mom (scared the crap outta her) but passed out halfway and peed my pants. Blood work, spinal tap, and EEG: All normal.
Due to YEARS of unexplained stomach aches and the onset of depression at 12, I was finally diagnosed with non-hepatitis A/B...(Now called...you guessed it -- HepC)
...more tummy aches and yearly testings.
--At 20 I decided to be pro-active and start treatments of Interferon injections 3 times a week (similar to chemo) and Ribaviren. It was a year long battle that proved unsuccessful for me...and delayed my spring wedding until July. Liver biopsy showed no signs of cirrhosis.
--At 23, due to the same ol' stomach aches and a new unbearable one, I went into the doctors again...where they found a rupturing appendix, gallstones, and ovarian cysts.
Surgery to remove the appendix was done immediately, surgery to remove the gallbladder, 6 weeks later - where the doctor said I had scarring so bad it was like an old man (no offense old men)
--At 25, I was 9 months pregnant with our son, River. I had gone in for my check-up and for the 3rd or 4th time in a row, my blood pressure was high. Besides an early Placenta previa scare, the only problems I had during pregnancy were the gnarly side effects. But I was taken into labor and delivery where I was induced (April 12th, 2006) On April 14th, 2006, my Booga was born. They opened up ap pinata on that day my friends and found a 9 pound boy along with... Placenta Accreta, Pre-eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, and the dooozy...DIC. After the C-section, partial hysterectomy, and then on the 3rd day....a 3rd "exploratory" surgery, I was in the clear...I woke up a day or 2 after Easter to the most beautiful (1 week old) miracle! There was no explanation of why it happened...until now.
--About 1 year later I went in because of chest pain....maybe it's your asthma, or scarring from the pulmonary emboli (blood clots in the lungs) you had after labor...nope, A little heart defect - Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation. A second disease to monitor yearly.
**Blood tests for liver always fine or slightly elevated.
--3 years of exhaustion, pain, nausea off and on and in Sept. of 2008 I went in due to daily vomiting. The doctor prescribed me anti-anxiety meds, and I quit my job for a less stressful part-time job...All of this did not stop the vomiting and increasing "funk" I was in. I went back a few more times...changed my medi-cocktail up...but nothing worked.
--Finally, in May of this year I went into a walk-in clinic and saw a PA who ordered an ultrasound on my belly (Why did I decide to go to this clinic? jusssst for the heck of it while I took my sister in for an infection.) What they found was Ascites. In June, I had my first visit with Dr. Jamal ( A great doctor A.K.A. The bearer of bad news) where I was told I have De-compensated Cirrhosis caused by HCV. As of now, they cannot explain why my liver scarred so quickly, the only thing they have found so far is that my Iron saturation levels are at 85% (as opposed to less then 35% normal range) I am the 2nd youngest transplant patient my doctor has ever had...And that my friends, brings us up to date (I think). And now...I'm going back to bed, I've pooped myself out and the sun is now up.

No comments: