Saturday, October 2, 2010

Biopsy #4

Last week, I started to lose my appetite again, (just ask my full pint of Ben & Jerry's "Half-Baked" ice cream from the week before that is still in the freezer - almost untouched) and not only that, I am now nauseous after I eat again too. It feels like it did prior to my transplant, and that scares me... I don't know if it is mental or what, but it seems even more difficult to deal with the sickness this second time around. (It's probably mental) This Monday when I went in for my clinic appointment I was even worse then the week before, and my labs showed it. All of my LFT's were up, even my Bilirubin, which had been one that stayed within normal range, was at 4.1 (which is why I have been so itchy and a lil yellow looking). The doctors admitted me again -- which this time, I wasn't so disappointed because maybe I could get some good meds via I.V. for some temporary relief.  However, it wasn't all fun and games for me... hehe... Wednesday they broke the news that they wanted to do another biopsy that morning, yup, that's biopsy #4 for those counting... Luckily there was no rejection, but the Hep C was again showing its ugly head, my new lil liver is inflamed. (Sorry Nancy - you gave me a perfect sliver and look at what I've done with it) Of course I fear the worse at times - the other 3 HepC patients that I am aware of that had transplants, have not shown signs of inflammation yet, and they are 3 months to 6 years post transplant. But deep down, I have a good feeling that somehow I will be ok, just not as quickly as I had thought and hoped for.
Because my liver is showing signs of HepC instead of rejection, my doctors have began lowering my anti-rejection meds... which is a blessing in itself. As of today, instead of the 14 pills I was originally taking (only counting the anti-rejection pills) I am down to 2 pills... alltogether that is less then 10 a day that I take. whoooo hooo... and as long as I do not show any signs of rejection, it will stay like that, which means I will be less likely to get skin cancer, diabetes, heart or kidney disease then I would have if I had to stay on all those original meds.(That is one smart body I have, it knows not to reject a good thing. hehe) Now hopefully since they have reduced all these meds, my LFT's will start to drop and there won't be any more inflammation right now.
For now, the doctors had a conference yesterday and discussed my case. They are debating on whether or not to start the interferon treatment again on me... and if so, when to start it. This is another thing that is really hard for me to think about right now... I was just getting used to feeling good and these treatments really put me through the ringer last time, and now I'm almost 10 years older. I do trust in my doctors though. I have prayed very hard that God guides them through each decision with me. But again, hopefully my LFT's will drop and there will be no need for treatment yet anyways... and then maybe I can get home and start doing some livin'. I've been in here 1 day short of my actual transplant! and that is depressing!! Even River is saying he misses me... and usually he is just happy to be at his Ahma's house with the dogs (and doing just about anything he wants) but my mom said that yesterday he picked a dandelion and before he blew it he wished for me to be better and come home. Isn't that the cutest!?! He has such a beautiful little soul. I can't believe I haven't seen him in 6 days - that is definitely the toughest part of being here.
Well it is 4:00AM and they just came in to draw my blood... Praying the LFT's are down and Sally is a happy liver again. I'll keep ya posted.

Oh, and thank you guys all again!! Your prayers and warm wishes really help to get me through! :)

1 comment:

Hepatitis C Research and News said...


Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Telaprevir will be here soon and you will be able to rid Sally of this awful disease. Keep your chin up and know how much you are loved!

Hugs, Patricia