So below is my diagnosis along with MY symptoms (I took out the ones I don't have - please see the ALF website for a complete list) I have completed ultrasounds, MRI's, massive lab work, and physical examination for my diagnosis from multiple doctors now.
Ricki's Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Decompensated cirrhosis - End stage liver disease: means that the severe scarring of the liver has damaged and disrupted essential body functions. -- The reason? I was born with the Hepatitis C virus, I have high blood/iron levels, mixed together with shear luck of the draw! MELD Score - 15. Treatment options - Liver Transplant by either living or deceased donor with a blood type of A or O.
Ricki's whine fest.
- Fatigue and loss of energy
- Loss of appetite and weight loss (Kinda cool -- at first)
- Nausea / abdominal pain / Vomiting (This is what started it all last August - DAILY VOMITING)
- Spider angiomas - These are pinhead-sized red spots from which tiny blood vessels radiate. (I just recently, and very happily found out that these do go away, it just takes many months... Luckily when the ones in my eyes pop, it only takes a few days to go away, don't worry, I have found that not bending at the waist reduces the pressure that causes those to burst...Yaeh!)
- Ascites - Fluid buildup in the legs and feet (edema) and in the abdomen (ascites). Due to portal hypertension. (This so far has proven to be my greatest nemesis!)
- Hepatic Encephalopathy (Causes my confusion, irritation, lethargy, muscle ticks...)
- Jaundice. This yellowish cast to the skin and eyes occurs because the liver cannot process bilirubin for elimination from the body. (I prefer to call this color - tanned)
- Itching. Itching (pruritus) develops from buildup of bile products. (This just sucks)
- Easy bruising (This with the extreme tan look is what gives me the nickname BB...Bruised Banana)
- Excessive bleeding (This one scares my momma - even if it is just a nose bleed)
- Thinning skin (making it impossible to wax) and Thinning Hair :(
- Wasting (Malnutrition - This is what I find gives me that "models bone structure")